Skip to content
Pros and cons of a used Car
July 6, 2020
July 2, 2020
Pros of a used car:
- This is the main advantage of buying a used car. If the car is a year or two old, it will cost 20-30% less than the same new one.
- Bargain if you buy a used car. Car owners inflate the cost of cars to bargain with the buyer when they meet.
- Masters will assess the condition of the electronics, engine, brakes and suspension, inspect the body and check the thickness of the varnish. After the diagnosis, you will understand how much it will cost you to repair the car and whether it is worth buying it at all.
- Thanks to the low price, you can buy a car of a higher class: for example, instead of a new BMW 1-series, buy a used BMW 3-series.
- Additional equipment. Usually the first owner installs everything necessary on the car, for example, an alarm system and protection of the engine crankcase.
- The previous owner can give you a cool car radio, custom disks and floor mats. If you’re lucky, even a set of winter tires.
- Fixed factory defects. Probably, the former owner eliminated all factory defects of the car under warranty from an official dealer. For example, a faulty thermostat.
Cons of a used Car:
- Expenses for diagnostics and repairs. The older the car, the higher the maintenance costs, especially for high mileage. For three years, many car parts wear out, because of this, it breaks down more often.
- Before you sign the purchase and sale agreement, make a diagnosis of the car at the service station. Diagnostics costs 1-5 increase more depending on the scope of work.
- If you buy a car older than seven years, do not count on its trouble-free operation. Pick up a car two or three years old, then you will not have to spend a lot of money on repairs. It will be enough to change the oil and brake linings.
- Stale interior of the car. The interior can be smoky or dirty. If there is an unpleasant smell in the car and there are spots on the seats, make an appointment for dry cleaning.
- Do not buy a car with an unpleasant smell in the cabin, especially if you have small children. If the smell is persistent, it will be difficult to get rid of it.
- Possible legal problems. A used car may turn out to be a credit card or stolen. Check it by the state registration numbers on the official website of the traffic police. You will find out whether the car is wanted, whether it was involved in an accident, and whether there is a ban on registration actions.
- No warranty from the manufacturer. Most likely, the used car has already run out of official warranty. When something happens to the car, you will fix it at your own expense.
- If the engine or gearbox breaks down, repairing cost are high.
- If you are not ready for unexpected expenses, buy a new car and enjoy the manufacturer’s warranty.